Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Midnight Snow

It’s midnight and in the twinkle of the outside lights outside, I can see the first winter snowflakes as they fall from the nighttime sky. While it has been cold before tonight, this is our first ‘weather’ event of the season. The forecasters can’t decide if we will have a dusting of snow or inches on the ground before it stops tomorrow. I suppose it’s a wait and see thing.

The first snow of the season is always special. Maybe because it is the first. Unlike rain, snow is magical. When it does accumulate, it leaves behind a winter wonderland that cannot be matched in any other season. To be honest though, for me, the magic is lost after the first snow. The second and any more to follow, while pretty, do not have that sense of wonderment that comes from watching the first big flakes fall.

So tonight and tomorrow, I’ll just enjoy this first snow of the season with childlike joy.

The Sawmill Project is moving along. We have the sawmill together on the ground now and with any luck will be cutting our first boards on Saturday. I’m really looking forward to seeing just what we can do. And of course, it will all be documented with pictures on the Backwoods Living website.

But for tonight, I’m going to put another log on the fire, maybe make myself a cup of tea and watch the snowfall.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the snow roo :). I sat at work all day long glancing anxiously at the window. There's 40 minutes between my place of employment and home. Last years first snow had me leaving work an hour after arriving and inching along the inerstate at 30 miles an hour. I made it home just as the big flakes began to fall last night.
Buit snow is magical and I always enjoy it for the short period of time its here. we got an inch, which is already melting off. The roads never seemed to get icy..