Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Little Things...

Sometimes living near a small town can be a unique experience. The other day I called our bank to check on a deposit I had mailed in. The conversation went something like this…

Me: I need to see if a check I mailed has been deposited to our account.

Teller: The one for $**.** - from your in-laws for your anniversary?

Me: Yes, that’s the one.

Teller: I know it came in, I remember recording it. Wait a sec and I’ll tell you the date.

Now, come on, how many people are that lucky with their banks? In this world of being only a number, the whole conversation actually made me feel like I was pretty important to them. Kinda cool!

Now about the weather. We haven’t had any real significant rain here in the Ozarks for about three weeks. But, now we know exactly how to bring on the rain.

No, not a raindance. Yet, by the same token, almost as unusual. Our method – set eggs in the incubator to hatch. Guaranteed to rain and storm the day the chicks are due to start hatching. This has happened the last three times.

And yes, it appears to be true that chicks will not hatch during a thunderstorm. At least for the most part. When I candled the eggs three days ago, we had 40 (of 48) viable eggs. They were due to begin hatching today – so far – 1 chick. We’ll see what the rest of the day brings, but based on the last two hatches, I’m not holding my breath for 40 chicks by the end of the day. We’ll see…

2 comments:

Judy said...

I had to comment on the local bank because my son just got his own apartment. I had to set everything up for him. The local companies (cable, gas) let me do it no problem. The phone and electric companies made him take off early so he could get it done. They all assumed everyone had cell phones. I love the country... except for the gossip mill!

Unknown said...

So your the one I can blame for all of these storms ;).